Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Twitter Turning Some Fans Into Twits

I've been using Twitter for a couple of years now, but I'm not sure I use it the same way many folks do. I only follow 81 people currently.  Some are friends, some are members of the media, and others are just things I find informative.  I don't follow a large number of people because I simply don't want to wade through hundreds (or thousands) of tweets each day.  I don't follow celebrities at all, other than a couple of Husker coaches. For the most part, I haven't found a celebrity tweet that I've found particularly interesting.  I could care less what Ashton Kutcher has to say, and furthermore, I know that with one million or so followers, there never could possibly be a conversation anyway. So why bother?

Today, much of the Husker Twittersphere was focused on a Tweet from @TaylorMartinez3 that stated that "Dreams Come True When You Work Hard and Pray! T-magic".  When I first saw it, my first thought was that this was a fake...especially after he decided to follow Tom Shatel yesterday.  Not sure why an 18 year old redshirt freshman would open up a Twitter account and start following the news media...especially when the Twitter account appears to be tied to a similar Facebook account that looks more like a amateur celebrity fan page than the Facebook account for a college student...especially when the Facebook account has no updates older than May of this year.

Sometime this evening, the Twitter account is gone; all the Tweets have disappeared without a trace. If it's the real Taylor Martinez, perhaps someone in the athletic department encouraged him to take it down.  Or more likely, the originator of the hoax got freaked out by the attention today and yanked it down before it got traced any further. At least I'm hoping it's a hoax; it would be concerning if a redshirt freshman who's never played a down of college football was going around promoting himself as "T-magic"

Some of these hoax Twitter accounts can be rather entertaining.  Have you checked out FakeTomOsborne, FakeJimDelany, or FakeDanBeebe? For the most part, they are a heck of a lot more entertaining than the real celebrities. Other than Bo Pelini's joke about the flu last October or the Go Karts tweet this week, he doesn't have much to offer. Heck, I've already dropped ChipBrownOB now that realignment talk has died down and I don't really care what misinformation he has to offer.  (I still follow FrankTheTank, who proved to be the far more reliable source on realignment.)  But when Big Mister Suh tweets about Subway sandwiches, well, that's a sign that I probably won't miss anything by not following.

Am I missing something with Twitter?  Or how do you handle following 3000 or more people on Twitter?

No comments: