Saturday, June 13, 2009

Four Years of Blasphemy

Today marks the 4th anniversary of "Blasphemy"...and what a four years it has been. If I can toot my own horn, this is now the longest running local sports blog. Sure some blogs started before me locally, but they've all either stopped or taken long hiatus. In fact, this is post #801 for Blasphemy as the fifth year starts. Let's put that in perspective: it's longer than Bill Callahan and Matt Perrault lasted. And oh, how things have changed over this run. Steve Pederson nearly ran the Husker athletic department into the ground, and was fired. Jim Rose is no longer the voice of the Huskers, and is reduced to promoting the flat-earth society in the mornings on KFAB (denying global warming, the dangers of second-hand smoke, etc.). The Nancy Belck/Jim Buck saga is also becoming a distant memory as well.

A new stadium for the College World Series is being built downtown (and unfortunately, a second stadium in BFE Sarpy County as well). Bo Pelini has Nebraska football on an upswing. Doc Sadler gets 140% out of his basketball teams. Dean Blais is likely to produce similar results for Maverick hockey. The future of local sports is much brighter than it has in several years.

Thanks to all of you for stopping by over the years. I hope you've enjoyed reading the blog a fraction as much as I've enjoyed writing it. And with expectations growing for both the Huskers and Mavs, it should be even more enjoyable as we enter our fifth year.

8 comments:

krossfader said...

Thanks for putting in the hours!

By far the most lucid, level-headed take on the local sports scene...

BLV said...

Congrats, Mike.

Pete said...

Hey Mike. I'm a regular reader. I left the Omaha area 15 years ago. Your blog serves to help feed my hunger for Husker news and keep me abreast of other local happenings as they happen in the sports world in the Big O. Congrats!

Pete

DrewMG said...

Your blog is a daily stop for me - keep up the good work.

Jason said...

Congrats on the milestone Mike.

Bret Nellor said...

Very impressive Mike! Congrats!

Eric J. Burton said...

Mike, I have enjoyed reading your blog.

AJ said...

I demand a recount!

:)