Friday, April 20, 2012

Channel 3's Travis Morgan Returns to Sioux City

I thought something was up when Travis Justice reappeared on KMTV-Channel 3's "Sports Soundoff" call-in show last Sunday night. I wasn't a big fan of Justice, but he was far better than his successor, Travis Morgan. Morgan came to Omaha from Sioux City, and if you've ever had the misfortune of watching a Sioux City newscast, you know what I mean.  It's a small market without much to cover sports-wise, so they fill the time with what they've got...and in the summer time, that's high school baseball and softball...covered much like the Omaha stations cover college sports.  And that's something that Morgan never seemed to adjust to in Omaha.

Tonight, the news guy had slid over to cover sports, which made me wonder just what was up, so I quickly hit the Google, and learned that Morgan has returned to Sioux City.  Unclear whether his contract was up at channel 3, or maybe there were family issues leading him to move closer to home, but typically, news people don't move from a market like Omaha to Sioux City.  It's like someone becoming an NFL free agent and signing with the Omaha Nighthawks.

It'll be interesting to see who channel 3 will hire next.  It's easy to think that they couldn't do worse than Morgan...but I had hoped that the station would upgrade their talent level after Travis Justice.  (Hopefully they are done hiring guys named Travis.  Justice has already indicated via Facebook that last week was a one-week gig.)  At the very least, they should try to find someone who can make their half hour "Sports Soundoff" worth watching.

1 comment:

Phi Joens said...

Alright Husker Mike. I probably shouldn't get into this. I love your blog! I know several Sioux City news anchors, and T-Morgan is a dear friend. Yeah, Sioux City sports does suck in the summer, but I live in Kansas City and it isn't that great either. I've found that when you move, nothing ever seems that great. If you live in Sioux City, you want to live in Omaha. If you live in Omaha you want to live in Kansas City. If you live in Kansas City, you want to live in St. Louis. If you live in St. Louis, you want to live in a bigger city. I've found bigger cities are not always better. Just wanted to tell you to shove it where the sun don't shine.

Loyal Reader-Big Redforever#7/#10