Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Is the NBA Real?

I admit it; I don't follow the NBA anymore.  About 20 years ago, I checked out on the league.  Not the sport; I still watch college basketball.  But the professional version jumped the shark back in the 90's, going from athletic competition to entertainment.  Almost WWE like, though not quite as over the top.  (Well, Shaquille O'Neill's introduction in the 2009 All-Star Game was straight out of the WWE's script.)

We've even heard allegations that the league is fixed.  But this year, the insinuation seems to be growing even stronger. It seems that I see and hear more and more buzz that the league is fixed lately.  The latest allegations revolve around the league's draft lottery, and today, it melted down on the Jim Rome radio show.

Can it be proven?  Hardly.  But it seems these suspicions are becoming harder and harder to dimiss as they become more and more prevalent.  Which raises my question for NBA fans:  would you be satisified if the NBA morphed to a WWE format, where it's more of an entertainment activity than a competition?  Or should the NBA take all of these suspicions and accusations as a serious threat to the viability of the league?  Or is it much-to-do-about-nothing?

2 comments:

Coaltrain said...

I like you a lot Mike, but this post is remarkably out of touch. The NBA has been gaining a lot of steam in the last half-decade or so, and I'm enjoying the current playoffs as much as I've enjoyed anything since the Jordan era. I don't know anyone who follows the league closely who actually believes conspiracy theories about the league being "fixed". There's simply no evidence of that whatsoever.

A lot of people checked out of the NBA in late 90s. Jordan left, there was a talent drought, and much of Middle America decided the NBA was becoming too "thuggish" for its taste. However, if people could get past the tattoos for a second (which are just the same as football players' tattoos btw, they just arent covered up by uniforms), I think they would find an extremely entertainingly league that is just bursting with talent and likable players right now.

I think Nebraska fans especially would find a lot to relate to in the small-town, die-hard fan base of Oklahoma City. Well, except for the fact that they do have "Oklahoma" in the name.

Husker Mike said...

Am I out of touch with the NBA? Absolutely. I don't watch it. And frankly, I don't have enough time to sit around and watch the sports I do like. I've only been able to watch a handful of Cub games this season, and I missed several Stanley Cup playoff games as well.

So I don't know what I'm missing. But I did ask the question because I do hear on Twitter and through the media that there are questions about the legitimacy of the NBA. Even the Washington Post asked the question, and David Stern did himself (and the league) no favors in how he answered Jim Rome.