Wednesday, March 29, 2017

A Change in Direction

You may have noticed a decrease in my blogging in recent months, and frankly, I owe my infrequent readers a bit of an explanation. The short answer is that I simply don't have as much time to do this as I once did.

I always thought after the kids got past diapers and 3 am feedings that I'd have more time. And I did...for a while. Then elementary school hit, and suddenly there were hockey and dance lessons, scouts and homework.

I tried squeezing in blogging at lunch time and after the kids went to bed. But after a while, I realized that I simply couldn't keep up the pace. It didn't help that I started to get a "writers block". Finally, I realized I had to make some choices.

And I picked my family.

So I've weaned down my blogging both here and at CornNation. I just finally accepted that I can't blog multiple times a week, work full time and take care of my family.

I'm not going away; I'll still contributing here and at CornNation. But it'll be on MY terms. Many so called "social media gurus" think you have to post frequently and regularly. They have a point, but a bigger point is that you shouldn't post when you don't have something interesting to post. People don't unfollow you because you don't post; they only unfollow you when you post things that aren't interesting.

Quality counts far more than quantity. So I'm not going to blog anymore just to meet some quota set by somebody else. I'm going to blog about what I want to say, and on my schedule.

That, in turn, means I'm going to also blog more often about non-sports topics. I'm sure some of you will tell me to "stick to sports." That's your right.

But it's my blog. I'm going to write what I want to write about. Disagree if you wish; this is still America, the last I checked. Maybe we'll have a civil conversation in the comments. Maybe even understand other perspectives instead of resorting to name calling. (Is that even possible anymore?)

The sports talk isn't going away; it's just not going to be forced.

No comments: