Thursday, August 13, 2009

Big XII Predictions

Time for my predictions for the Big XII this year:

South

Texas. I think Oklahoma's losses up front and at wide receiver may haunt the Sooners this season. Best case: #1 in South. Worst case: #2 in South.
Oklahoma. But not that bad. OU and Texas are still the cream of the crop in the Big XII. Best Case: #1 in South; Worst case: #2 in South.
Oklahoma State. Yep, they've got the offense to challenge the top two...but not the defense. Best Case: #3 in South; Worst Case: #4 in South
Texas Tech. Did you know that the Red Raiders are the only team to never have a losing record since the formation of the Big XII? Best case: #3 in South; Worst case: #5 in South.
Baylor. Robert Griffin is going to be a force in for the next three years. Best case: #4 in South; Worst case: #6 in South
Texas A&M. It feels like the Aggies are hell-bent on emulating the fraud that was Nebraska football between 2004 and 2007. Best case: #5 in South; Worst Case: #6 in South.

North
Kansas. The returning offensive skill position players give the Jayhawks a slight edge in my book this season. Best case: #1 in North; Worst case: #3 in North.
Nebraska. Too many offensive question marks, though the defense can carry this squad. Best case: #1 in North; Worst case: #3 in North.
Missouri: Too many question marks on both sides of the ball. Best case: #1 in North; Worst case: #4 in North.
Colorado: Lots of uncertainty here. I could see the Buffs at any extreme. Best case: #1 in North; Worst case: #6 in North.
Iowa State: Yes, that's right. Iowa State nearly pulled off upsets of Colorado and Kansas, and I think Paul Rhoades might invigorate this program. Best case: #4 in North; Worst case: #6 in North
Kansas State: Might not be as bad as Colorado might be, but still might not be any good. The Wildcats will be paying the price for Ron Prince for some time, both financially and talent wise. Best case: #5 in North; Worst case: #6 in North.

Here's how I break it down in the North, with the percentages:








TeamFirstSecondThirdFourthFifthSixth
Kansas37%34%20%5%3%1%
Nebraska33%33%25%6%2%1%
Missouri20%16%31%20%8%5%
Colorado7%11%15%40%17%10%
Iowa State2%4%7%15%39%33%
Kansas State1%2%2%14%31%50%
Truth be told, I think Nebraska has the highest upside of any team in the North, but with so much uncertainty, I think Kansas has to be the favorite for now. Missouri has too many questions to me. Iowa State will be a little better this year. Kansas State is simply going to stink this year.

3 comments:

merlin said...

As a Missouri fan, let me say Mike, you're doing some nice work. I think our chances should be a bit higher, but of course I would.

Husker Mike said...

My main concern with Missouri is the defense. Both NU & Mizzou have to answer questions on offense, but I think the Huskers have an edge on defense. But it's a wide open three-way race in my mind.

Jon said...

Nice analysis, Mike.