Sunday, October 23, 2011

BlogPoll Ballot: Bouncing Sparty up to #10; Huskers Stay at #14

Up until now I had no reason to drop Oklahoma out of the top spot.  Now I do.  And frankly, after what LSU did to Auburn this weekend, I think I might have given serious thought to doing it anyway. The Sooners loss to Texas Tech (with three starters out on defense) sent the spiraling downward.  Stanford's demolition of Washington caught my attention, so I'm moving them up to #3.  Maybe that's only to prevent any SEC "Game of the Century" talk for the matchup in a couple of weeks.

I feel I penalized Wisconsin too much for giving up a Hail Mary on the final play of the game, but if I didn't put Sparty ahead of the Badgers, someone would point out "didn't you watch the game"?   Into this week's poll comes USC and Georgia. Auburn and Washington don't get penalized much for losing to elite teams; this drop is more because they lost so badly, not because they lost. Teams should get credit for playing top teams, even if they come up on the short end of the scoreboard.

Why did Texas A&M stay at #25? Simple. I still haven't seen enough to convince me that the Aggies are a legitimate Top 25 team. Call it the hangover from last year's Nebraska game when even with help from the officials and Taylor Martinez hobbled, they still struggled to win at home. But that's last year, you say. They do have a victory over Texas Tech, which probably is their best win to date.

No comments: