My boss asked earlier today why I hadn't posted anything about Bill Callahan's contract extension. I could have used the excuse it's been a busy week, but the truth is, it's not really news. It was simply the next step after Steve Pederson's contract extension. Did he deserve a contract extension and a raise? Depends on your perspective. On one hand, he hasn't really accomplished anything on the field. On the other hand, the team has made great progress since November 2005. Does he deserve $2 million a year? Again, compared to the Average Joe? Of course not. But compared to other coaches? Probably. And like I said in July, if Gary Pinkel is deserving of a contract extension, Bill Callahan is.
I've had a couple of invitations to participate in the Blogpoll and declined for any number of reasons, the most important being that until we get to October, it's really irrelevant. The boys over at Big Red Network seem to agree with their first ballot. That spawned my own idea... the Husker Mike Power Poll, where it's based almost entirely on what you've done this season, not what people thought you would do. With that in mind, here's my Top 10.
1. LSU (Beauxshirt defense was as dominating as ever)
2. Oklahoma (New QB, no problem.)
3. USC (Fast start, then sleepwalked...)
4. Florida (Score held down due to lightning...)
6. Cal (Looked great against Tennessee)
7. Nebraska (Blew out bowl team from last year)
8. Louisville (Will drop next week after giving up 42 to Middle Tennessee State tonight)
10. Kansas (Again, blew out a bowl team from last year.)
Next week's poll will be based on the first two weeks only, so it probably will look quite a bit different. And as long as I'm doing a Power Poll, here's my Big XII Power Poll based solely on last week's games.
4. Texas Tech
5. Kansas State (lead most of the game against Auburn means more than some teams "victories")
8. Texas A&M (blew out on scoreboard, but outgained by 1-AA Montana State)
9. Oklahoma State
10. Texas (outgained by Sun Belt team, and only winning by 8 when Ark State misses 2 field goals?)
11. Iowa State